QUESTIONS I ASK WHILE INTERVIEWING POTENTIAL HEAD COACHES
I am in my sixth year as an Athletic Director. I thought I would share the list of questions I ask in an interview while searching for a Head Coach.
Here is the list I’m going to use. Please let me know if you have any questions!
HEAD COACH INTERVIEW
- Years experience coaching? Where?
- What has been your most important accomplishment as a coach?
- What has been your biggest disappointment?
- What are your coaching goals? Short term? Long term?
- What are your strengths as a coach? List your top 3.
- What are your weaknesses as a coach? List your top 3.
- When your team encounters a problem, such as irritation with a teammate or a member of the coaching staff, how do you reach a good resolution?
- How do you distribute and collect uniforms?
- How do you go about conducting your first Parent Meeting and what do are some important items to go over with them.
- What steps are you going to take to generate interest in girls getting involved in the softball program here?
- What steps are you going to take to get the “outside” community interested in the program here?
- What is your philosophy of Strength and Conditioning in your program?
SITUATIONAL COACHING QUESTIONS
- What do you know about our softball program?
- How are you going to improve a 32% winning program over the last 5 years?
- How do you score runs in softball? Offensive philosophy?
- Defensive/pitching philosophy? What is it?
- How do you coach baserunning?
- How do you prepare your team for a game?
- How do you work with officials? What is your philosophy on the way that you treat them?
Ever been tossed from a game? If so, what did you do and what did you learn from it?
- If a parent approached you after practice or a game on your way to your car and wanted to talk with you about playing time, what would you do? How would you respond?
- What do you think is the most important aspect of a championship (sport) team?
- Our athletic department motto here is “ . . . . . . . . .” How will you do both of these things in our softball program?
Do you have any questions about our program?
Your time commitment? Compensation? Facilities? Equipment? Fundraising?